Wall putty refers to a material with high plasticity having the same texture as dough or clay. It is generally used in domestic construction as a sub layer before application of paint and also a filler and sealant.
Wall care putty is crucial for smooth finish, durability and hardness of the surface of a wall, before painting. It serves as a foundation for paint. One must also prepare the wall surface for applying wall putty.
- Make sure that surface on which you apply putty is made of cement material or plastered.
- Provide remedial measures or separate treatment for fungus, dampness, leakages, etc.
- Clean the surface completely. It should be free of wax, oil, grease, residual paints, loose particles, dust, etc.
- Remove all loose material from surface by rubbing down with the use of putty blade, wire brush, or emery paper.
- Moisten wall with enough quantum of clean water and permit it to dry before applying putty. Make sure surface is wet in the right way
- Combine wall putty with necessary amount in a pan, adding water in a 2: 1 ratio or as per suggestion of manufacturer.
- Stir constantly using electric mixer or hand for around 10-15 minutes. Mix in a thorough fashion to get a paste like, creamy consistency.
- Prevent formation of lumps during mixing.
- Apply a single coat of primer before applying putty and dry it overnight. This is recommended by some manufacturers while some do not.
- The first coat must be applied in a vertical fashion of bottom to top by making use of trowel/ spatula/ putty blade etc.
- Allow first coat of putty to dry for 6 to 8 hour
- After it is dry, rub surface gently using emery paper to remove loose particles.
- Following the first coat, begin application of second coat of putty.
- Get a glossy surface by rubbing wall surface with sand paper after the wall is completely dry.
- Drying time may differ as per thickness, humidity, and temperature.
These are all same aspects about using wall putty for finishing walls.